Anthony Joshua has revealed he was willing to give old rival Dillian Whyte a rematch on December 10 before settling on opponent Eric Molina.
The unbeaten 27-year-old will defend his IBF world heavyweight title against Molina on Sportsclubsociety Box Office next month and is expecting a real challenge from the American, who rocked Deontay Wilder during his failed bid for the WBC belt last year.
The Joshua camp turned to Molina after a fight with Wladimir Klitschko fell through, but the man himself has told Sportsclubsociety News HQ he considered a sensational alternative – getting back in the ring with Whyte.
Joshua avenged an amateur defeat to the south Londoner in an electric Sportsclubsociety Box Office clash last year, and a third meeting might have been on the cards if Whyte was not already signed up to fight Dereck Chisora on the undercard.
Asked if a rematch with Whyte will happen one day Joshua said: “One hundred and ten per cent.
“The fact I managed to knock him out doesn’t make him a bad fighter and doesn’t mean he can’t take a punch. It means I turned out to be the better fighter on the night.
“He’s gone on, rebuilt himself and is gaining valuable experience against the likes of Ian Lewison, David Allen and Dereck Chisora.
“As long as he stays on course and I stay on course I’m sure this fight will happen. I even mentioned about fighting him on December 10 but he was scheduled in to fight Chisora. But no problem, we’ll get it on again.”
Whyte will have to wait his turn behind Klitschko, though, assuming the former heavyweight king recovers from a calf injury in time for a spring fight.
Joshua acknowledged Molina could “stop the dream from happening” but said: “It’s a fight everyone wants. He seems to be keen and says he’ll be healed by March or April.”
Watch Anthony Joshua v Eric Molina at the Manchester Arena, on December 10, live on Sportsclubsociety Box Office.